Have you guys seen Taylor Swift’s new music video, Shake It Off?
I’m a Swiftie all the way and I’m inspired by all-things Taylor from her style to her hair (read about that here). In the video above, I LOVED her beatnik-inspired look that came out at around the 1:44 mark.
If we analyze her look, it seems simple and straightforward enough. But it’s the details that’ll help you pull it off fabulously. Here’s what I did:
Step 1: I started with a non-glossy, vivid red lipstick first. Use a lip brush to outline and perfect your pout. It’s all about definition for the lip!
Step 2: Now for the cat eye! In the video, it’s just a simple flick that’s thicker at the end. Nothing too dramatic. I used washi tape as a guide underneath, so it’ll be easier to make both eyes even.
Step 3: The cat eye goes from thick to thin, so I used the tip of the brush and a very light hand to carefully trace over my upper lash line. Subscribe to my e-newsletter and I’ll send you a free tutorial about how to master this makeup move!
Step 4: Chinita problems! One of my eyes doesn’t have a crease, so I placed lid glue over it to make my peepers appear more even. I’ll write more about that technique soon!
Step 5: If you look closely at Taylor’s makeup look, her lashes are curled and quite long. So I crimped away and applied three coats of lengthening mascara.
Step 6: For the brows, they’re just not really bold or heavily defined in the video. So I opted for a liquid eyebrow pen to fill in the gaps naturally.
Step 7: Taylor’s skin was fresh and matte. Patting on loose powder with a puff will help you achieve this effect, so the finish isn’t cakey or too flat.
Step 8: Speaking of flat, add some dimension to your face with a matte brozer. I loved the one I used. Check it out at the end of the post :p
Step 9: Lastly, time to iron my hair! Taylor’s bob is straight and not curled at the bottom, so a flat iron is the best way to cop that.
Want to see what I look like?
And here’s me dorking out! Yes, I had to dance to it. It’s just too fun!
I was obviously excited to play dress-up as Taylor Swift for an afternoon. Haha! Now here are the products I used to create this look:
From the top, going to the right:
1. K-Palette Lasting 2-Way Eyebrow Tattoo, P950. This is perfect for a soft, natural brow.
2. Heroine Make Smooth Liquid Eyeliner, P595. Best liquid liner ever! It’s long-lasting and it doesn’t dry up no matter which angle you hold it.
3. Real Techniques Retractable Lip Brush, P440. No need for a lip liner when you have this in your arsenal. And you can just throw it in your bag, too.
4. Shiseido Eyelash Curler, P1,300. This is great for opening up Asian eyes!
5. K-Palette 1-Day Magic Eyeglue Liquid, P650. I was pretty impressed with this glue! You can use it to create a fold or to stick on falsies.
6. Covergirl Lip Perfection Lip Color in Hot Passion, P395. This red-orange combo is a very close shade to what Taylor was wearing. I like that despite its semi-matte finish, it doesn’t dry out your lips.
7. Covergirl Clean Glow Blusher, P450. A new fave! I’m not a fan of glitter or flecks, so this is a product for face sculpting.
8. Real Techniques Multi-Task Brush, P1,050 (part of a set). It’s the perfect combo of fluffiness and firmness, so your powder goes on all the right spots.
9. Covergirl Trublend Minerals Loose Mineral Powder, P545. It’s light and great for mattifying your skin. I like using the puff to just pat on the powder.
10. Majolica Majorca Lash King, P850. It’s the best mascara ever! You get a long-lasting curl + length. The only flaw is that it leaves smudges at the bottom after a few hours.
And that’s it for my interpretation of Ms. Swift’s beatnik look! The key elements really are the cat eye, matte skin, and red lips. Everything else is optional! And remember, when using a look as inspiration, don’t take yourself too seriously and just have fun with it.
Would you give this look a try? Leave a comment and let me know! ♥
Covergirl Available at Watsons and leading department stores.
Heroine Make Available at Watsons.
Majolica Majorca Available at Watsons and leading department stores.
K-Palette Available at Beauty Bar.
Real Techniques Available at www.kalmcosmetics.ph
Shiseido Available at Powerplant Mall Rockwell, Greenbelt 5, and Shangri-La Mall.